Wakefield Acoustics, the leading industrial and environmental noise control manufacturer, has recently completed and dispatched 17 high specification acoustic enclosures for the Johan Sverdrup oil field located on the Norwegian continental shelf. This multi-million pound contract is the largest in the company’s history.
The Johan Sverdrup field is one of the largest oil discoveries ever made in the region and is expected to generate between 550-650 barrels per day at its peak over the course of the next 50 years.
Wakefield Acoustics have worked with their client over the past three year to design and deliver a series of high specification noise control and blast rated acoustic enclosures to meet the requirements of the project.
Operating in a challenging climatic North Sea environment, with extensive noisy equipment in a space constrained environment, Wakefield Acoustics enclosures on the project are designed in accordance with stringent NORSOK standards.
Each enclosure is fabricated from corrosion resistant materials taking into consideration the access requirements of the end client, and the space constraints which are a typical of this type of application. The enclosures are designed to withstand the client specified blast loads in the event of an explosion, and incorporate the following safety features which are typical for such ‘hazardous area’ applications:
- Fire & Gas detection and suppression system featuring titanium deluge pipework.
- PAGA visual beacon warning systems.
- Integral hazardous area compliant ventilation system for maintaining internal temperatures within operational tolerances.
- Internal lighting, and emergency lighting in the event of main power failure.
- Removable sections for regular and major maintenance requirements
- All equipment is ATEX compliant to the relevant standards as required, and cabling of instrumentation is in accordance with relevant NORSOK standards.
Lee Nicholson, Managing Director said:
“On the back of the extensive expertise we have in this sector we were delighted to be chosen to supply such a large number of high specification acoustic enclosures to the Johan Sverdrup oilfield. The project was challenging, but was successfully completed on time and in budget. The contract represents the company’s largest ever contract and we are extremely proud of the strong reputation we have built up in this sector.”